For those who’ve stumbled across this page randomly… this is a debrief of a short activity that I shared in my newsletter.
The instruction was to set a timer for 10 minutes, and write 5 x social media posts in that time. Once that’s done… read the debrief below:
How did that go?
How did it feel?
Did you do it?
Did you decide it wasn’t a priority right now?
What did your inner critic have to say?
What were your pop-up thoughts about writing five posts in ten minutes?
Here’s the thing: Writing for your business is a skill. It takes practice, and it takes consistent, dedicated time… but your content, whether on social media, on your website, on your blog, on your podcast, wherever it goes… your content is your VOICE.
And to be honest, I find it quite alarming how quickly people get excited to outsource their voice, whether it be to a copywriter, or to a template, or to AI and ChatGPT.
- If I follow you on Facebook, guess who I want to hear from?
- If I read your emails each week, guess who I assume is writing to me?
- If I send you a DM, guess who I’d like to get a reply from?
And before you message me and tell me why you love AI, and why your approach is different or better, or why the one you use is fine, or how to use it ethically, or the other things it does for you, etc etc etc (seriously, AI people are REALLY passionate about it)… let me just say up front, that’s fine. I’m not going to argue, I’m not going to try and convince anyone… I’m just saying that sometimes, finding a way to get someone else or something else to create content for you, is actually just delaying or avoiding the very thing you need to do… which is create.
YES – it feels clunky at first.
YES – you worry it’s not right, not perfect, not ‘how it’s done’.
YES – there’s friction and tension and frustration involved (you should see how many times I have deleted and rewritten this email!!!)
YES – you’ll share things now that you’ll look back on in a few years and think… ‘Ewwww, cringe!’
But that’s the POINT.
- The more you create, the more you find what you REALLY want to say.
- The more you create, the more confidence you have in your creations.
- The more you create, the more you differentiate and discern what is YOUR voice, what is YOUR take, what is YOUR advice… rather than just regurgitating what is already out there.
And in online business it’s even MORE important, because:
- The more you create and share, the more you’ll see what resonates with your audience, and what needs further refinement.
- The more you create and share, the more data and insight you’ll have about what else to create, and the more you’ll see what people share and get excited about, and what falls flat.
- The more you create and share, the more engagement, the more reach, the more leads and the more sales you’ll make.
- The more you create and share, the more you’ll realise that your audience isn’t following you because they want picture-perfect, no-typos, robotically-worded content that is optimised perfectly and somehow says nothing… they are following you because they want to hear from YOU.
Real, human, flawed, still figuring it out, YOU.
Want to find your voice faster? Use your voice more.
Want to connect with a bigger audience? Connect more with your existing audience.
Want to get more engagement? Write and share more content so you can learn what your audience WANTS to engage with.
It’s time to stop convincing yourself that someone else or something else can do it better, will do it better… and instead remember
Your voice is needed.
Your voice matters.
Your content is your voice.
And writing content is a skill.
It just takes practice, and a willingness to embrace being human and imperfect, and sharing what you create as you go.
WANT MORE HELP WITH YOUR MESSAGING AND CONTENT?
Check out my free resource – Core Messaging Document: tashcorbin.com/message
… and be sure to subscribe to my weekly newsletter for more practical, powerful ways to accelerate your business growth.